The Sacrament of Baptism is the very first step your child will take in his/her life journey of love and faith in Jesus Christ. It is an exciting journey because God gives us His Holy Spirit who empowers us to become more and more like Jesus every day!
In Baptism your child will become a member of an extended and loving family – the Church – which is the Body of Christ. Through Baptism, God cleanses us from sin and sets us on a path of life that can positively impact others.
If you wish to have your child baptised, here are some guidelines to help you in your own journey of faith.
• As Catholic parents, you are responsible for bringing your child to the Sacrament of Baptism.
• Your consent to have your child Baptised and raised in the Catholic faith is desired.
• Your child may have one or two godparents (sponsors). The role of the godparents is to actively support you in bringing up your child in the Catholic faith. They must be at least 16 years of age and be a confirmed Roman Catholic who will be a good role model for your child. It does not, therefore, make sense to have godparents who are either not Catholic or Catholics who are not practising their faith.
Baptismal preparation in our Parish would include:
• Attending a preparation session for parents held at the parish office where you get to have a discussion about the Sacrament, your faith and spirituality and learn about the rituals and symbols associated with Baptism.
• Joining the community of our parish and getting involved in the community, especially at Sunday Eucharistic services.
All the above applies to Baptism of an infant or a young child. If your child has reached the age of 7, you and your child will receive different preparation.
Baptism can be celebrated after our Sunday Mass at 11:45 am
What if you live in another parish but want to have your child Baptised at Sacred Heart?
You would need a letter of permission from your home parish giving us permission to Baptise your child at Sacred Heart.
Fee:A fee of $50 for administration costs and use of the Church is required. (To be paid prior to the Baptism)
A Donation to the celebrating priest is also appreciated. This can be given on the day of the Baptism.
Please call the Parish Office on 9480 3398 if you have queries about this Sacrament or want to understand more.
For baptism of adults, please see RCIA.